Little Flower Educational Child Care originally known as Little Flower Missionary House founded by Mother Maria Luisa Josefa, Foundress of the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles, opened its doors in 1929. From that moment forth, the Carmelite Sisters and staff at Little Flower Educational Child Care have partnered with parents to provide a special environment for the precious children enrolled at Little Flower Educational Child Care.
The Carmelite Sisters began Little Flower Missionary House by opening their convent located on 34th Street in Los Angeles to young girls from single parent homes at the request of both the Catholic Welfare Bureau and the County of Los Angeles. They placed this new home under the patronage of Saint Therese of Lisieux, a young Carmelite nun who called herself the “Little Flower of Jesus”.
Fourteen years later, in 1943, the location in Saint Patrick’s parish on 34th Street was no longer suitable for such a home, and it was necessary for the Sisters to find another place. Sister Margarita Maria found a home, and Little Flower Missionary House moved to the old Spalding Mansion on Gates Street, situated on a lovely four acre hillside in the Lincoln Heights area of northeastern Los Angeles.
With time and the help of many friends, additional buildings were constructed and forty boarders could be accommodated in the new buildings. The young girls attended schools in the area until the Sisters were able to open their own grade school called Little Flower of Jesus School, in honor of St. Therese of the Child Jesus. The Carmelite Sisters and staff at the school provided not only education for elementary students through 6th grade who were enrolled at Little Flower School, but also around-the-clock care for the girls who resided at the Missionary House.
In 1954, a new complex with a chapel, dining room and other facilities replaced the original house. In 1970, to meet changing needs, Little Flower transitioned to a Child Care Center providing formation, education and day care for boys and girls from two and a half to six years of age. Through the years, the capacity of the school was expanded to accept two-year-old students.
In 2009 the two-year old program was expanded to include Potty Training. In 2011, the name was changed to Little Flower Educational Child Care. Little Flower’sInfant/Toddler programs began at that time. Today, Little Flower covers almost 30,000 square feet and consists of 12 classrooms, children’s dining room, school kitchen, staff room, chapel and office building. Each level has a play area with age appropriate equipment. A hillside/playground area is a favorite place for the children.